In addition to providing students a Christ-centered education, VCCS equips them with the tools they need to pursue and fulfill God’s plan for their lives. As an independent college preparatory school, VCCS employs standards that exceed the mere completion of course requirements and standardized exams to ensure each student’s smooth and successful transition to the next level of growth and development.
In the Guidance & Career Services Department we urge students to pursue their God-given visions and carry the gospel into their prospective areas after graduation. We provide one-on-one coaching sessions to help them maximize their academic potential and encourage them to make spirit-led decisions in selecting colleges and careers. As student advocates, we establish collaborative partnerships with university admissions staff, scholarship organizations, athletic recruiters and business leaders that enhance students’ career opportunities and accessibility to scholarships.
We encourage students (spiritually, academically, socially and emotionally) and advocate for them when necessary through our connections with outside resources.
As part of the academically-challenging VCCS community, we work as a team with our faculty and administration to teach our students who they are in Christ and help position them to win in life.
The following services are provided to assist them in this process:
- Instruction and encouragement to develop and strengthen their personal relationships with Christ and to take ownership of their relationships as they graduate and move into post-high school pursuits. As students learn who they are in Christ and combine this awareness with strong academic preparation, they should be equipped for higher learning and prepared to become a generation of spiritual leaders;
- Assistance to uncover their God-given talents and abilities, educate parents and students regarding the college admissions and financial aid processes, scholarship opportunities and careers, and identify appropriate college “fits;”
- Exposure to colleges through area college fairs, the College on Campus Program and college visits;
- Advice on how and when to apply to colleges and how to submit attention-getting application packages;
- Information on college athletic participation requirements and how to complete appropriate registrations;
- Appropriate spiritual, academic and emotional encouragement and support;
- Grade-specific internal workshops to assist students in prioritizing and staying on track throughout high school;
- Facilitation of graduation preparation and establishment of timelines for ordering class rings, cap & gowns, announcements and developing graduation speeches;
- Advocacy as liaisons between students and external entities;
- Coordination and administration of all school standardized testing, including material ordering, distribution and score interpretation (Entrance Testing, PSAT, ASVAB, Terra Nova, ACT Explore, ACT, SAT, and Advanced Placement)
- Coordination of all school-wide community service projects.